How I Stopped Binge Eating

Do you often find yourself consuming large amounts of food at night? Do you eat out of boredom or in secrecy? Do you often eat until you absolutely can't eat anymore? Does your stomach ache at night when you try to sleep? Do you wake up multiple times during the night? Have you gained a lot of weight in a short amount of time? If you answered yes to most of these, then you may be suffering from binge eating disorder. It's normal to over do it every once in awhile, but if you find yourself overdoing it constantly, you may have a problem.

I found myself wanting more and more. I just couldn't get enough of this or that. I was constantly craving something, it didn't even have to be junk food, just something I could taste or munch on. I was eating until I physically couldn't eat anymore. I was eating in secret and hiding the evidence. I had trouble falling asleep at night and trouble staying asleep because my stomach hurt so much. I was waking up with pain in my stomach, yet still looking forward to binging that night. I could barely get into some of my pants and noticed myself not being happy with what I saw in the mirror. I was bloated 24/7 and starting to feel uncomfortable in my own skin. It felt like an endless cycle that I couldn't get away from.


One day I stepped on the scale and wasn't surprised to see that I was at the most I had ever weighed in my life. Even though I was physically active, doing yoga and working out, I had gained over 25 lbs of what I'm going to assume was mostly fat. Then I got depressed and did some more binging. In a way I was in denial about how much weight I had gained. I had always been "skinny" and thought I was invincible. Turns out, I'm only human. 
When I was finally sick of what I was seeing and doing, I realized I needed help in getting back on track. After speaking with holistic nutritionist, Laura De Sanctis of Go With Your Gut, she helped me develop strategies to help combat my binge eating and get back in control of my diet by following certain guidelines. I wanted to share with you some of the things we discussed and some of the things that I find worked best for me. In no particular order, here is a list of things to do or not to do if you are going to commit to ending your binge eating.


1. Seek Help - Consult with a nutritionist and ensure that they will check in with you often to keep you on track and motivated. Tell your friends and family that you are currently trying to stop binge eating so that they can support you.
2. Start a Food Diary - Download a fitness/nutrition app such as MyFitnessPal to track your calories in/calories out, macros and nutrients. 
3. Stop Buying Junk Food - Don't buy unhealthy snack food or anything you know you can eat plenty of or will be tempted by.
4. Put the Package Down - Don't eat out of packages, set out a portion and stick to it.
5. Meal Prep/Plan - Start meal prepping so that you have go-to, healthy meals. Meal prep healthy snacks such as fruit, veggies, nuts and seeds. Plan your meals for the week.
6. Chew - Take your time chewing and really enjoying each bite.
7. Don't Skip Meals - Start with a protein-rich breakfast, medium-sized lunch and light dinner, have a snack where needed and end your eating around 8 pm.
8. Honesty - Be honest with yourself, your nutritionist and your friends/family. Hold yourself accountable for your actions.
9. Determine the Causes - Do you eat out of boredom, sadness or due to stress? Find your triggers and learn to prevent them. 
10. Balance - Don't deprive yourself, allow yourself a cheat night every once in awhile. I have one every Friday night. 
11. Water - Drink lots of water and lemon water in the mornings. 
It's been a couple of months since I saw Laura and I'm happy to say I have my binge eating under control now. It's still a struggle at times and I'm not perfect, but overall I feel much better physically and mentally. I am starting to lose some of the weight that I gained and am feeling healthy and energized. I highly recommend these tips if you are looking to get in control of your binge eating. Remember to relax, it takes time to see results. Be patient with the process. Speak with your doctor as well if you have any health concerns.

 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts