Hyperthyroidism, Hyperhidrosis and I

"Hyperthyroidism is a condition in which the thyroid gland is overactive and makes excessive amounts of thyroid hormone. The thyroid gland is an organ located in the front of your neck and releases hormones that control your metabolism, breathing, heart rate, nervous system, weight, body temperature, and many other functions in the body. When the thyroid gland is overactive, the body’s processes speed up and you may experience nervousness, anxiety, rapid heartbeat, hand tremor, excessive sweating, weight loss, and sleep problems, among other symptoms." Stolen from: https://www.endocrineweb.com/conditions/hyperthyroidism/hyperthyroidism-overview-overactive-thyroid

Why do I care about this? I've been suffering through years of excessive, embarrassing sweating on my FACE, most notably above my upper lip (which is very noticeable when you're talking to people and embarrassing when they point it out), trouble sleeping, mood swings, shakiness in the hands, extreme nervousness and anxiety, as well as difficulty breathing at times and an increased heart rate. One day I had had enough after my nail technician pointed out my sweatstache and asked if I wanted the fan on me. After that I googled excessive sweating, read about hyperhidrosis and decided it was time to see someone about it. 

Hyperhidrosis is more common than you think and can be caused by hyperthyroidism. If you experience excessive sweating on your face, armpits, hands or feet, you might have hyperhidrosis. It can be treated a number of ways, depending on how much money you want to spend on it.



After finding a professional close by who treats hyperhidrosis and telling her my symptoms, she immediately asked if I had ever been had my thyroid tested. She was surprised when I told her my doctor had never requested this type of testing before, even though my doctor was aware of my symptoms. So off I went to get tested through a simple blood test. The results? I have a slightly overactive thyroid. This gives me an answer as to why I have these symptoms. I won't be taking medication or radio-iodine and I don't need surgery but I do need to be tested every 6 months to see how I am doing. I still suffer from sweating and many of the other symptoms, but I have an better understanding of my body and why it is reacting this way. I am hoping that through maintaining a healthier diet, meditating and exercising daily, I can manage this on my own.

If you are experiencing similar symptoms and have no idea what's causing it, go see your doctor. They may suggest getting blood work and request that you check your thyroid. You never know what's causing your symptoms and regular blood work is important anyway.

Comments

  1. Good ....article ... I like girlz who sweat ....just as long as its not stinky ...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts